Veterans Benefits

How to Use Your Veterans Benefits

Norwich University is committed to helping military members take full advantage of their education benefits. All of our online bachelor's and master's programs, as well as our graduate certificates, are approved for Veterans benefits under the GI Bill®. If you are eligible and wish to receive education benefits under one of the programs outlined in this section, please visit the VA website to file for your Certificate of Eligibility (see below).

Post-9/11 GI Bill®

With recent changes to the Post-9/11 GI Bill, each new applicant is now eligible to receive funding each academic year, depending on the percentage of GI Bill benefits for which they are eligible. Students are still eligible for a maximum of 36 months of education benefits.

One of the benefits of the Post-9/11 GI Bill is a monthly housing allowance (MHA). For those enrolled solely in an online distance learning program, the housing allowance payable is equal to one-half the basic allowance for housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. Please note that active duty students and their spouses cannot receive the monthly housing allowance.

Although Norwich’s admissions advisors can provide guidance, students are ultimately responsible for applying for and using their military benefits. For complete details, please visit the Post-9/11 GI Bill informational website.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Intended for veterans who are attending a private school or a public school as a non-resident, out-of-state student, the Yellow Ribbon Program serves as a supplement to the Post-9/11 GI Bill's education benefits. The Yellow Ribbon Program is a co-sponsored grant between Veterans Affairs and participating colleges and universities that helps with tuition and required fee charges for veteran students.

Not all students are eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program. Given the recent changes to the GI Bill, you may not find it necessary to use the Yellow Ribbon Program depending on the tuition costs of your chosen Norwich online degree program.

For complete details, please visit the Yellow Ribbon Program informational website.

Montgomery GI Bill®

The Montgomery GI Bill encompasses both the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and the Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) and is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. Students who are eligible for both the Post-9/11 GI Bill and the Montgomery GI Bill must choose which program benefits they’d like to receive, as benefits cannot be combined. For complete details, please visit the Montgomery GI Bill informational website.

Filing for Your Certificate of Eligibility

First Time Applicant
To apply for your Veterans education benefit, go to the VA education benefit application website and complete the application, VA Form 22-1990. The VA will process your application and send you a Certificate of Eligibility stating your chapter benefits and the percentage of benefits for which you are eligible.

Update Current Education Benefits
If you have used your Veterans education benefit in the past and wish to use toward your education at Norwich University, you will need to complete VA Form 22-1995 to update the VA with your new school and program. This will prompt the VA to send you an updated Certificate of Eligibility.

You must then send a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to Norwich by email to, by fax to 802-485-2533, or by mail to the following address:

Norwich University
Attn: Shaun McCaughey, VA Certifying Official
PO Box 367
Northfield, VT 05663

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Veterans Scholarships

Veteran scholarships, tuition assistance, and loan options are offered at the state level. outlines an extensive list of the benefits offered by each state. 

Alternative Funding Options

Veterans with specific career paths in mind can pursue additional educational funding options. Nonprofit and government organizations and even larger companies offer career-focused veteran scholarships and grants such as:

Veterans with disabilities may pursue additional educational financing opportunities such as:


The Higher Education Relief Opportunities for Students (HEROES) Act of 2003 (Public Law 108-76) is intended to ensure that service members who are receiving Federal Student Aid Program funding are not adversely affected because of their military status and to minimize the administrative burden placed on such individuals. The HEROES Act provides opportunity for colleges and universities to manage Federal aid program requirements differently for service members, their spouses, and their dependents if their ability to comply with standard requirements is hindered by their active duty military status. Administrative relief may be provided related to income used for eligibility calculations, required documentation, required signatures, student loan collection activities, Satisfactory Academic Progress expectations and others.

Potentially affected individuals are encouraged to contact the Student Financial Planning Office or their Direct Loan service agent if they feel that their individual or family situation may qualify them for administrative relief based on HEROES Act provisions. Affected individuals include the following as well as their spouses and dependents:

  1. Active duty military personnel serving during a war, military operation or national emergency declared by the President.
  2. Members of the National Guard performing a qualifying duty (i.e., called to active service by the President or Secretary of Defense for a period of more than 30 consecutive days) during a war, military operation or national emergency declared by the President.
  3. People who reside or are employed in an area declared a disaster area by any Federal, State or local official in connection with a national emergency declared by the President.
  4. People who suffer economic hardship as a result of a war, military operation, or national emergency declared by the President.


admissions counselor

Credit Transfer

Transfer up to 90 semester credits for previous college coursework and military training towards your bachelor's degree.

More about Credit Transfer
students walking at residency

Student Support Services

Our dedicated faculty staff are here to help you succeed both inside and outside of the classroom so that you can focus on achieving your goals.

More about Student Services

Upcoming Events

Get Program Details